Monday 7 December 2015

Evaluation Question 4

Evaluation Question 4

As a group, we frequented on YouTube in order to find the common conventions in existing indie music videos. It was also helpful in all aspects in giving us ideas for set locations, shot lengths, shot ideas and the type if video we wished to try and create. Our main source if inspiration was "Undercover Martyn" by Two Door Cinema Club.  After collecting ideas we made a storyboard which enabled to to see visually the direction we wished to take our video. It was also useful in letting us find out what equipment we were going take need and if our video was feesable. An animatic was also created in order to help the group be able to visualise the final video and see the development of what we had already created.


All members of our group found that Blogger was a useful tool in acquiring feedback from our audience. It also meant we were able to post the continued progress of creative journey. At any point we were able to go back and change or develop our blog posts if we had altered or thought of something new. Our audience were able to post any concerns or feedback they had thought of from viewing our post about the development of our product. As previously discussed this feedback was vital in creating a successful finished video.
For the filming we used the camera from an iPhone 6s Plus which shoots at 4k resolution also we used an app called FiLMiC Pro which gave us manual control for exposure and focus and other aspects of effects. Then few tools the app posed were no match for some of the cameras the other groups were using but we thought that this may actually give our video an edge over others. Other groups may be tempted to use all of the features at their disposal which could lead to them over complicating their video and end up with a confusing or clustered music video. From the reap search, these are very much things you want to avoid when trying to appeal to music audiences especially those in the indie genre. Whilst filling in the dark the LED light we were using was very helpful in lighting the set and allowing us to create the right mind and vibe for each shit that we desired. The additional lighting was also good when filming close-ups, the fact that the audience can clearly see the band members facial expressions is vital in creating the sense of intimacy between them and the band which can help emote certain feelings in the viewer.  Final Cut Pro X helped us to edit the video and get the best finish for the video and create the look we were attempting to re-create in other videos we had seen. Spotify was used to stream the song whilst we were filming so that those performing were able to hear it and sing in time. it also proved useful when getting an idea of shot lengths for each part of our video. Nathan was then able to match the music to our footage whilst editing the video which made the post-production phase slightly easier.


The photoshop software on the Windows PC I was using was the only tool I used whilst creating both my digipaks and magazine advert. This software possessed all elements I needed during this process. Most notably the cut tool, which enabled me to edit images I had taken or found to my desired effect. The colour wheel was useful whilst searching for the colour i was going to use on my digipak. It offered me countless variation of all colours to use; this was an important decision because I had to consider my bands representation. using the wrong colour could mislead audiences that my band is something that it isn't and may deter certain people from listening/viewing/purchasing the album. Both the vertical and horizontal text boxes were also very useful when creating the layout of my album cover. It was especially important to my product as the text is the centrepiece of the product and is the main attraction to audiences/passers by. The macbooks were also useful to me during my evaluation process so that i was able to write up my questions. I used other presentation formats available to me on the computer in order to bring my evaluation together. These formats included: Prezi, Youtube and Scribd. The aim was to provide and original and differing way of presenting my work to not only make it interesting to read, but to also show-off my media skills.
Overall, I feel that the technology I used during this creative process were central to the finished products. Without these pieces of software or programmes I wouldn't have been able to develop my ideas in the way I did and to create these products without these technologies would have been virtually impossible. 

No comments:

Post a Comment