Thursday 17 December 2015

Evaluation Question 2- Draft

How effective is the combination of your main product and ancillary texts?

For my main product, our task was to make a music video which represented a type of music and the kind of artists that play this kind of music. The ancillary texts we had to make to go along side this main product was a Digipak and a magazine advert for the made up band and the new music they are bringing out.
We are doing the Indie style of music. The indie style of music should reflect the latest bands and trends in the music business and the bands around at the time. It also must reflect the people who listen to the music and buy the tracks and the albums as these are the people who buy the albums.

When designing my advert and digipak I hadn’t got a very clear idea of what I was going to do. So when my first draft wasn’t very good I had to do a total revamp of the whole thing.

When I came across the Pet shop boys, Actually cover I thought this would be a good cover to use as an example because the cover is quite basic but looks very good and quite affective. I wanted to get this kind of band style into the digipak and magazine advert because the band that we are doing the music video from is this indie style.
This research I have done into this Digipak along with magazine adverts made me believe that I had found many different form of media convention that Indie genre’s use with magazine adverts or album covers. My digipak was a four panel with the front, back covers and the inside left and right. I have a picture of the band on the front which is very isolated so that the audience can focus on them while they are looking at my digipak. The centre image is the picture of the band which is organised so they are all wearing white shirts so they look like they are a ‘unit’ or a group of individuals who are friends and can work together to make good music.

Indie style is not the easiest thing to relate to a digipak and to relay this information to the audience and buyers was the most crucial thing in order to get the people to want to listen to the music and purchase the digipak. When I was making my Digipak I didn’t think much how it would fit into my video because our video is quite unique but also my Digipak is quite unique but in different ways. The way that both the video and the digipak are unique means that my work links in to also being unique, this unique style also links into the ‘indie’ genre of music that we have with both the style of music and the style of my digipak and music video both being quite individual. If i had to complete the Digipak section of the coursework then I would find more individual and Indie bands album covers in order to copy some sort of styling from these which would take my grade higher than it is. I feel like my research for the magazine advert was very minimal and just used the front cover of my digipak in order to make it look the way that I wanted it too.   


Overall I feel that I use the individuality of my digipak and Advert and mixed that with the ideas we had for the video and I feel like the two mix well to show a good idea of an indie band and music video. 

No comments:

Post a Comment